Will investment in new red-blushed pear cultivars grown in 'modern' orchard management systems, yield higher and more stable returns compared to continued investment in European style pear varieties, such as Packham’s Triumph, grown in traditional low density systems?
This is the question being researched by DEDJTR, to complement the field research currently underway at the Pear Field Laboratory at Tatura. Three new blushed pears (the Coregeo cultivars ANP-0131, ANP-0118 and ANP-0534), with exceptional eating qualities, are being researched using ‘modern’ orchard management systems that are characterised by high-density plantings of compact trees that use water efficiently, fruit early in life, and produce consistent high yields of quality pears.
Expected returns from the new red-blushed pear Deliza®
Source: APAL February 2017
In collaboration with Goulburn Valley pear growers, Agriculture Victoria researchers are conducting economic assessments of the new red-blushed pear ANP-0131 (Deliza®) to help growers determine how to grow it most profitably.
By Kerry Stott, Mark O’Connell, Ian Goodwin and Susanna Turpin.
Video Lecture (14min 23 Sec) June 2016
High density, early yielding orchards: Performance report for Blush Pears, a presentation by Kerry Stott, Agriculture Victoria at the Regional Innovation Forum - ‘Delivering innovation through the horticulture supply chain’ Horticulture Centre of Excellence, Tatura May 2016.
Please Note: This video may be of interest to you but the State of Victoria and its employees do not guarantee that the stated assumptions and the information provided are without flaw of any kind or are wholly appropriate for your particular purposes and therefore disclaims all liability for any error, loss or other consequence which may arise from you relying on any information presented.
- Blush pear research orchard
- Fruit Bud Development
- Intensive blush pear production
- Pear planting systems experiments
- Pear rootstock experiments
- Pear irrigation experiments
- Pear cordon tree training demonstrations
- Pear post-harvest ripening and storage
- Blush pear export market research
- Pear tree training & pruning techniques
- Blush pear international research collaboration
- Blush development in pears. Part 1 - light & temperature
- Blush development in pears. Part 2 - orchard practices